STEM conference: Creating STEM Mentors
Each year Si Se Puede Foundation offers FIRST Lego League and SeaPerch programs for kids in elementary school with the help of college student volunteers. The purpose of this conference is to train volunteers to become great mentors.
2020 STEM Conference Workshops
- This year we offered a two-hour workshop on each, SeaPerch and FIRST Lego League, focused on how to build and program a LEGO and an underwater SeaPerch robot. These workshops included judging criteria.
- Financial Literacy workshop by State Farm: College Students were offered resources and were taught how to handle personal finances and build credit.
- Científico Latino, an organization started by a Yale Ph.D. candidate and a Rockefeller Ph.D. candidate, flew in to encourage and provide guidance to college students interested in pursuing graduate studies.
- An engineer from General Motors and mentor to SSPF’s Degrees of Freedom provided a workshop on how to be a great mentor for a diverse group of kids.
2020 STEM Conference Speakers
- Fredi Lajvardi: International speaker, talked about the journey of leading a group of high school students to beat MIT at a robotics competition three years in a row.
- Fighter Pilot Valerie Wetzbarger: Major “Twitch” talked about the challenges she encountered finding herself in a male dominated STEM field and then thriving.
For sponsorship opportunities, including college student recruitment opportunities, please contact:
Alberto Esparza at (480) 310-2018
Karime Rosas at firstname.lastname@example.org